Social Scene FAQ
1. What is “Social Scene”?
Social Scene is a free application for your US Cellular® phone that gives you access to Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Google Talk and news feeds in a single application. You can see updates and respond right from the application, just like you would from the web. Please note: Social Scene uses data to keep your content updated. You will be responsible for all charges related to Social Scene data traffic.
2. Which web services does Social Scene support?
Social Scene currently supports:
* Google Talk
* News feeds
3. What kind of phone do I need to use the Social Scene mobile app?
You can find a list of Social Scene supported handsets in the US Cellular easyedgeSM catalogue, by navigating to the Social Scene app listing.
4. Do I need a data plan to use the application?
Yes. A data plan is required to use the Social Scene application.
5. Can I use WiFi to access Social Scene?
No. Social Scene runs over your mobile data connection only.
6. Do I need to have an account for every service?
No – you can activate and use only the services that you choose. Don’t have an account for a service, but want one? See question #7.
7. Can I create a new account for a web service (e.g. a new Facebook account) from Social Scene?
Not yet – currently you have to create accounts from each service’s website first. Once you’ve set them up, then you’re free to use them on Social Scene.
8. How do I get Social Scene on my phone?
a. Find Social Scene in the Brew® catalogue on your phone or in the US Cellular easyedgeSM catalogue on the web.
b. Follow the instructions on the page to download.
c. Social Scene will save in your phone’s Applications folder.
9. How does the Social Scene log-in work?
It’s simple: the first time you launch Social Scene, you’ll sign in to each of your services once. That’s it. After that, Social Scene will automatically sign you into your services every time you launch the app.
You can change this setting if you want, though. Open the Options menu and select “Manage Social Scene.” You can choose whether or not you want Social Scene to save your user names by checking (or unchecking) “Remember Me.” Then open the Options menu again and press “Save.”
10. How do I navigate around Social Scene?
At the top of the screen, you’ll see a row of icons displaying all of Social Scene’s different services. This carousel is what you’ll use to navigate from service to service.
Using your phone’s trackball or five-way navigator, scroll to the top of the screen to activate the carousel – the carousel’s gray background will appear in color to indicate that you have activated it. Scroll left and right through the icons. As you scroll, you will move through Social Scene’s different pages to view your services.
When you’re signed in to a service, you’ll notice a set of tabs underneath the carousel. The tabs are Social Scene’s handy way of organizing all the content within your services. Scroll down to the tabs, and then navigate left and right to access the tabs within that service.
To return to the carousel, scroll LEFT from the leftmost tab or RIGHT from the rightmost tab. You can also just scroll up to the top of the page.
11. Are there any shortcuts that make navigating around Social Scene easier?
For phones with touch screens:
Tap the icon of the service you have open to move back up to the top of the page
For phones with standard key pads:
* key – moves you up to the Carousel.
For phones with QWERTY key pads:
q key – moves you up to the Carousel.
Social Scene has a shortcuts list in the application itself. To view the list: open the Options menu and select Help >Tips and Tricks.
12. Can I leave Social Scene running in the background while I use other features on my phone?
Sure. To minimize Social Scene (the app stays running in the background):
1. Open the Options menu.
2. Select Minimize.
3. You’ll see a screen confirming that you want to minimize the Social Scene application. Press Yes.
4. When Social Scene is minimized, it will come back up automatically when you receive a notification. You can always bring Social Scene back by opening it from your Applications folder.
13. Social Scene tells me my user name/password is incorrect when I try to log into my services, but I KNOW they’re right. What’s going on?
VERY important – ALL passwords (for Facebook, etc.) are case-sensitive. If your phone is set to capitalize the first letter in your password, keep an eye out for that – and adjust the case as needed. Also make sure you don’t hit the “Enter” key after you type in your credentials. Some phones will interpret that as an additional character rather than as a “submit” command.
14. Even though I’m signed in to a service, on some of the tabs the screen says “loading” but nothing ever appears. What’s happening?
This problem typically only occurs when you actually don’t have any content to load. For example, if you’ve never sent or received a direct message on Twitter, the Inbox tab in Twitter will indefinitely say “Loading” until it has a direct message to display.
15. I posted a new status message using Social Scene. Why don’t I see it immediately appear in the app?
When you post a new update using Social Scene, you won’t see it immediately appear in the app, but don’t worry – your status update (or Tweet) does post to your page right away. Why? Social Scene is specially designed to not to overuse data: after Social Scene sends your update out, it waits a few more minutes to gather any other updates you might receive. Then displays your new status along with all other new content you have.
16. The app just froze. Now what?
Hold down the “Back” or “End” key until you see an option to “End Application.” Exit out of the app and then restart. If that doesn’t work, then power your phone off and back on.
17. I’m seeing data usage and I want it to stop. What do I do?
Social Scene uses your data connection to keep your services updated. If you want to stop all Social Scene-related data usage on your phone, go to Settings, uncheck the box labeled “Notify me of new messages,” and click Save. Then open the Options menu and select Exit. Social Scene will cease all data usage until you manually relaunch the application.
18. What does Social Scene do to protect my log in credentials?
Your password is entered and stored on your phone. When your password is sent to our server, we use SSL encryption for transport and we never store the password on the server.
19. What happens if I lose my device?
Just to be safe, you should reset all the passwords for the services you were using in Social Scene.